Sunday, April 22, 2012

Salsa Sunday: Crazy for Cauliflower Salsa!

This one is for all you cauliflower lovers out there...

Now I will admit...I am not a huge fan of cauliflower. Don't get me wrong I can enjoy a good bit of cauliflower if the right scenario is presented to me. Such as: torture by fire, whip or death by tickling. But when I whipped this little baby up all I could say was "give me more!"

So for all of you with a sophisticated palette come join me on a little adventure.

Cauliflower Salsa

1 small head of cauliflower steamed but still firm, cooled and diced.
1 tomato, diced
1/4 a red onion diced
1/2 a bunch of cilantro, washed and diced 
12 slices of pickled jalapenos (at your preferred spiciness) diced
Salt and lime to taste

Complimentary Chip: Pita Chips, Lightly Salted


So there it is. You either love it or hate it. However, there is hope for all the haters out there. I believe my mom mentioned this recipe years ago and I had never thought to try it till now. I am glad I did though!


So get that water boiling, place you cauliflower in and...


Set your temperature to low and steam them for about 3-4 minutes. You do not want soggy vegetables. They need to still have some crunch to them but slightly cooked.


 Then strain our the water and place in the fridge to cool down. You want these babies cold. Then hide the evidence of the smell in your kitchen. You do not want your cauliflower hating husband to discover what you have done.


Once the cauliflower has cooled, chop it up like so...


Dice up your jalapenos. These really make the salsa so if you are not a spice person make sure to get the mild ones and not the hot pickled jalapenos.


Add you remaining ingredients to the mix, add salt and lime to taste and stir baby stir...



And in that stirring is where the magic happens. Sure you can eat it which a chip...but lets up the ante a little and eat it with a tasty pita chip! Now its all gone here at our home. Cauliflower lovers beware!

                   Buen Provecho!
~Misguided Maiden

No comments:

Post a Comment