Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Adventures on the Ranch: Chickens

Chickens...

How did we come about a dozen (and soon to be more) free chickens? Well it is complicated...

The first two were given to me by a co-worker who needed to find them a home because the family pet factor was wearing down on his kids. I was happy to have them. They escaped their cage on the first day and let me tell you something. IT IS HARD TO CATCH A CHICKEN THAT HAS ACRES TO RUN FROM YOU ON! My thighs are burning just thinking about it!

The next 10 were from some lovely friends who were moving out of state. Very soon we will add two more to our brood. They really are fun.

Lady hens are all about the DRAMA! They fight each other, hurt each other, chase each other and gang up on each other. I mean lady hens are MEAN! But for the most part they dwell together in peace. Especially when there is plenty of food to share.

Here are a few pics of what we have been working on to house them. it is an ongoing project and something I am having fun doing when time permits. The eggs are delicious and we are swimming in them right now if anyone is interested!


My lovely husband finishing the door for the run. I Love my man.


Some sturdy fencing. and a pre-made home off of craigslist. just needs a bit of spit shine and it will look fab soon.


Mary Jane drinking from the smallest water holder...SIGH...


We decided to place the hens by one of our willow trees near the walnut orchard. this give them shade on hot days and a bit of greenery.
 I will post pics of the chickens soon and a few more of the coop as we improve upon it. This is an ongoing project that I look forward to. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Did a nice job on the coupe... Looks good. I bet they are happy chickens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am going to spice it up more once the weather gets better. Got to keep my girls happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete